The Most Valuable Gifts Cost Next to Nothing
I think that I love giving gifts more than getting gifts. Isn’t it great when you see someone open a gift that they really like—the smile that lights up their face and makes your heart feel warm.
There are gifts that we can give every day that can keep the warmth kindling in us and others. Following are 8 that I try to give often.
1. THE GIFT OF LISTENING... But you must REALLY listen. No interrupting, no daydreaming, no planning your response. Just listening – to your children or grandchildren as they excitedly tell you what they are doing. As your spouse recounts fond past memories. To friends who share ideas and happiness with you. Listen. You might be surprised at the value of what you hear.
2. THE GIFT OF AFFECTION... Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on the back and holds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love you have for family and friends.
3. THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER... Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories. Your gift will say, "I love to laugh with you."
4. THE GIFT OF A WRITTEN NOTE... It can be a simple "Thanks for the help" note or a full sonnet. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for a lifetime, and may even change a life.
5. THE GIFT OF A COMPLIMENT... A simple and sincere "You look great in red," "You did a super job," or "That was a wonderful meal" can make someone's day.
6. THE GIFT OF A FAVOR... Every day, go out of your way to do something kind.
7. THE GIFT OF SOLITUDE... There are times when we want nothing better than to be left alone. Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of solitude to others.
8. THE GIFT OF A CHEERFUL DISPOSITION... The easiest way to feel good is to extend a kind word to someone. It's not that hard to say, “Hello” or “Thank You.”
I challenge myself and you to give as many of these gifts that we can to spread warmth and love. You never know—you can make someone’s day and knowing that you can do that is the biggest gift of all.